Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Week 19: Lemon Bars

My kids and I ate ate an awesome little Italian place this week and my son said he was craving lemon bars. It made me think back to my high school days. I had a handful of recipes that I would make all the time and one of the was Lemon Bars from the 1969 Betty Crocker Cookbook. My mom gave me one of those books when I got married but I couldn't find it so I googled it until I found it. Here goes.

Lemon Bars

1 cup all purpose flour
1 stick butter or margarine softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest if desired
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
additional powdered sugar

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl mix flour, butter, and powdered sugar. Press in 8 or 9 inch square pan going up about 1/2 inch on the sides. Bake crust 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
3. In medium bowl mix remaining ingredients except additional powdered sugar with an electric mixer on high for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Pour over hot crust. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until no indention remains when touched in center. Cool completely on wire rack in pan for about an hour. Dust with additional powdered sugar. For bars, cut in 5 rows by 5.

Hope you enjoy them. They sure are yummy. If you like coconut you can add about 1/2 cup to the filling mixture or if you like lime you can substitute lime juice and zest for the lemon. God Bless your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment