Thursday, July 1, 2010

Week 20: Peanut Butter Sheet Cake

Back for another week. This week's recipe is for peanut butter lovers. I love peanut butter so this cake isn't good for me to have around. Growing up my grandma and mom made quite often a chocolate sheet cake that was so good. Best chocolate cake I've had and better than brownies too. I'm not a huge chocolate fan but love the sheet cake. You can imagine how much I love the peanut butter one. I did have to make some changes this time. I didn't have buttermilk or evaporated mile so for the cake I add about a tablespoon of vinegar to some half n half. If you have lemon juice that works too. For the evaporated milk in the frosting I also used half n half. Worked just fine. The recipe calls for chunky peanut butter but our family likes creamy, so that is what I used. Also just fine. Here is the recipe.

Peanut Butter Sheet Cake

2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Glaze:
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil, stir in peanut butter and oil until blended. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Combine eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and add to peanut butter mixture. Mix well.
Pour into a greased 15-in X 10-in X 1-in baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
Meanwhile combine sugar milk and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter, marshmallows, and vanilla and stir until marshmallows are melted. Pour and spread on warm cake. Carefully spread out over the top. Cook completely.

This is such a great recipe. It's very moist and serves a lot of people. Hope you peanut butter lovers enjoy it. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment