Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Week 5: Homeade Pumpkin Butter and Crumpets

The house smelled wonderful today as I made a big pot of pumpkin butter. Pumpkin, apple cider, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon and some sugar all cooking in a large pot and smelling fabulous! I canned this recipe. It made 12 1/2 pint jars. Easy recipe that will be shared with you at the end of these 52 weeks. Now it's time to make the crumpets. A crumpet is a savory sweet bread made with yeast and flour. It is mainly eaten in the United Kingdom and other nations of the Commonwealth. Crumpets are generally circular. They have a distinctive flat top with many small pores as a resilient, slightly spongy texture being very porous. I made crumpets this morning. It took about an hour to prepare before the actual cooking process. This was my first time to make crumpets and I must say they were very good. I did some looking and found the recipe on the Allrecipe site. It's the only one listed if you want to look it up. I will also be putting it in my cookbook at the end of my journey. When all was done, we had a crumpet with a big spoonful of pumpkin butter. It was so good. Definitely a keeper recipe. A great gift idea too. That's all for this week. Hmmmm....now to choose next weeks recipe.....Good day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment