Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Week 7: Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts

This was a very good week. I decided to make doughnuts. I remember growing up, I had an Aunt Rosie that lived with my grandma. She loved to make doughnuts. She was such a great cook and she always let me help do everything. She had a polio as a child and used crutches all her life..I remember her sitting at the kitchen table with flour all over the place, including her dress and sometimes on her face. I'd help cut them and we'd put them on a plate and grandma would drop them in the hot oil. We made a glaze from powdered sugar, butter and hot water and as soon as the oil drained we'd have to hurry and dip the hot doughnuts in the glaze. Now that was the best tasting doughnut ever. They would melt in your mouth. I searched several different websites and cookbooks for a good recipe. I believe I found a good one. It's made with yeast but it actually still had somewhat of a cake taste to it. That isn't bad. Many people like that type of a doughnut. Great tasting. Definitely a keeper and something I would make for a coffee shop. Hope it's one all of you will enjoy. It was a lot of work but worth every bit of it to me. Oh I also made some homeade salami. First try and it was great. Made about 2 pounds. Seasoned just right. I will probably put it in my cookbook too. I think if I served it at a coffee shop I'd serve it on a platter with some cheese, assorted crackers and grapes. One of my favorite snacks, or even as a meal. Have a great week everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment